Most of these foods start trending on social media due to their stated health benefits. Some are fact while others are merely fiction, but most people would try anything in the quest for a healthy life.
Through all these those that catch my eye are those mostly related to cardiovascular health?
I am of African descent and people of my race have been known to have a higher risk of heart diseases, diabetes and hypertension. So in my quest to live a healthier and happier life I try to eat foods known to improve the heart.
Having low LDL cholesterol levels are said to be the best way to improve your heart and preferring the homeopathic path I search for foods that can help me achieve my goal.
So what foods help reduce LDL cholesterol levels?
- Oatmeal: I have previously written about the health benefits of eating oats and it is still my go to breakfast of choice (i.e. when I do eat breakfast). Oatmeal is rich in fiber, which helps bind cholesterol away from the blood that is then excreted out of the body. It also regulates blood sugar levels, aids in digestion and keeps you fuller for longer which helps aid weigh loss.
- Fatty fish: Fatty fish such as salmon are rich in Omega-3 fats which has been linked to a reduction in the risk of heart disease and lowers LDL cholesterol level by increasing the HDL cholesterol levels in the body.
- Avocado and nuts: Avocados are rich is Omega-3 fats and has all its added benefits while nuts such as walnuts also help reduce cholesterol levels. Moderation is key with nuts because they are high in calories so over indulgence can also lead to weight gain.
- Beans: Beans are both delicious and rich in both protein and fiber. Due to their fiber qualities they also lower cholesterol levels so ensure you enjoy this delicious legume that can be eaten in soups, stews and sauces.
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber which helps reduce LDL cholesterol levels.
Photo by Stuart Miles. Published on 02 August 2014
Stock photo – Image ID: 100278667